How to select a social monitoring tool - Factors to consider.
Below is a list of key questions you should ask your Social Media Monitoring vendor. I based this list from a fantastic white paper written by Don Bartholomew, Vice President - Analytics, Insights and Measurement of Fleishhman Hillard (Omnicom Group) about how to select a social monitoring tool.
The list has been tweak for my own needs and you might also want to give each factor your own importance (weight) depending on what your needs are.
I believe it covers all areas before committing to a social monitoring tool contract.
Hope you find it useful :) Mauricio Escobar Mármol - Sydney based Social and Digital Marketing Specialist @ eDigital.
- How is the content aggregated? Third party? Own system? How often? Real time?
- How long is content archived? is back data available? To which year? If so, extra cost?
- Can you offer an example coverage for the term: “iphone 4s” Exact Match - Australian based content during the period 1/1/11 to 30/09/11. How many results the tool brings?
- What sort of content the tool cannot reach: ie. Facebook status updates that are not public, Intranets, any other?
- What data cleansing strategies are in place to address spam, splogs, duplicate content? If results from duplicate content are found…do we have pay for them?
- Is boolean logic available when constructing searches? ie “AND-OR-NOT”
SEARCH RESULTS SPEED
- This is key. Many tools are super slow. You want to double check they are fast when bringing results. How long (on average) does it take to retrieve results for “iphone 4s” exact match - Australian based content during the period 1/1/11 to 30/09/11
- What specific metrics are standard in the system?
- Do the tool offer sentiment analysis? At micro level? Post level?
- How the sentiment analysis being constructed?
- Can the sentiment analysis be tweak by tool user?
DATA PRESENTATION, CUSTOMAZATION, AUTOMATION, SHARING
- What dashboard features are available in the standard tool version?
- Can dashboards be customised by users?
- Are drill down capabilities available for all analaytics on the dashboard?
- Can reports be automatically delivered and share across the organisation?
- Does the tool allow for user to engage directly with content owner?
- Can “owned” content (ie our website, facebook page, twitter) be managed by tool user. Can multiple TAF Franchisee facebook pages be monitored?
- What workflow capabilities the tool offers? Can specific conversations be assign to other users?
- Once a conversation is engaged and completed, what reports the tool can offer?
- Can Real time social conversation alerts be sent to specific users? Or franchisees’ emails ( non-tool users)?
SPECIFIC INDUSTRY BASED FEATURES
- Is there anything in your tool set up for franchisee based business? If so, please provide examples.
- What additional types of data can be integrated in the system? Google Analytics? Email database? CRM?, Sales Force?, etc
- Does the standard version allow for reports to be generated?
- Can reports be automatically produced?
- Can reports be customized? At what level?
- Can the tool just track conversations happening in Australia or in a specific City in Australia? How?
- Would it pick up Australian based conversations happening in different languages? Any extra costs?
- What is the tool costs? By number of search results’ charge? By subscription charge (unlimited search results)?
- Is there any trail period? Can we try the tool for a month?
- How the cost varies depending on amount of tool users?
TOOL SET UP (INSTALLATION)
- Is there any specific system requirement needed?
- Is training included on the tool costs? How many training hours? If not, what are the training costs?
VALUE ADDED SERVICES
- Is tool installation and configuration costs included?
- Is customer service available just at business hours or 24 hours? weekends?
- Is there any success retail franchise based Australian client case study you can offer? If not, why not retail franchise based Australian clients have not bought your tool?
MINIMUM CONTRACT PERIOD
- What’s the minimum contract period.
CONTRACT TERMINATION NOTIFICATION
- Is there anything we have to be aware when deciding to terminate a contract with the tool provider?
- Out of all the above criteria, which top two does your tool position as the best in the market?
Sydney based, Mauricio Escobar Mármol offers support on Social and Digital Marketing and Media, you can contact Mauricio: